Family First
Family First
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Family Law
  4.  → Name Changing

Name Changing

A person could want their name or their child’s name changed for many reasons. In some kinds of lawsuits like divorce or a paternity action, a name change is pretty standard and doesn’t require any sort of additional time or expense. If you want to change your own name, it’s pretty easy. You simply file a Petition with the appropriate court, prove your identity, pay a fee, and explain why you want to change your name. The judge will then hold a hearing and determine if you are trying to change your name for an illegal purpose (like avoiding debt or criminal charges.) If the judge approves the name change, he/she issues an order and that is all you need. If you want to change your child’s name, you must give notice to the other parent and prove to the court why the change is in the child’s best interests. While the name change process can be straightforward in some cases, an experienced family law attorney can help you navigate the process with a minimum of time, expense, and worry.